Why do I need to send staff on First Aid at Work courses?
Businesses and Public Sector organisations have a legal requirement to ensure that there is immediate care available for any of their employees who have had an accident or are unexpectantly ill while they are at work. First Aid at Work Courses are the perfect solution to meet this requirement.
As a business owner or public sector manager you must ensure:
- That you have properly assessed your first aid requirements based on the specific hazards and risks involved in your workplace
- That you provide the correct medical equipment and have the correct number of trained first aiders that will be able to help any injured or ill staff
An area that is often overlooked is that of the legal first aid requirements of the self-employed. If you are self-employed then you are required to make your own arrangements for your first aid requirements, even if you work from home.
Here at Hertfordshire Sports Village, conveniently located in Hatfield, we provide first aid training courses covering 1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work and the more comprehensive 3 Day First Aid at Work.
Here’s what is covered by the two different first aid courses:
1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work Course
This 1 day first aid course is ideal for both private and public sector organisations that are legally required to have at least one emergency first aid trained staff member. The course teaches a first-aid responder to provide emergency first aid to someone who has either been injured or suddenly falls ill whilst at work.
The first aid 1 day course covers a range of CPR and first aid skills, providing you with the knowledge to ensure a safe working environment.
The 1 day first aid course is separated into a practical workshop and theoretical classroom work, including a practical evaluation on CPR and first aid including:
- Dealing with someone who is unresponsive and not breathing, including how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- unresponsive and breathing
- having a seizure
- heavy bleeding
The 1 day first aid course also covers additional information on:
- How to assess a casualty
- How to monitor a casualty
- Where to get additional help
- Dealing with electrical incidents
- Best practice for recording and reporting accidents.
- The control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
3 Day First Aid at Work Course
The 3 day first aid course is ideal for businesses that have identified their need for extra first aid training as their business has employees with a disability or an existing medical condition.
The 3 day first aid course covers everything that is taught in the 1 Day Emergency First Aid course but with a great deal more areas of first aid.
- When a patient feels faint
- There is a suspicion that someone has been poisoned
- The person has suffered a head injury
- The patient has hypothermia or heat exhaustion
- The patient has suffered an injury to a bone, muscle or joint (including spinal injuries).
Students will also learn how to help when someone is suffering from:
- A seizure
- A heart attack (includes the administration of aspirin)
- An angina attack
- A stroke
- An asthma attack
- A severe allergic reaction
- A diabetic emergency
Getting to our First Aid Courses
The 1 day and 3 day first aid courses are run out of our Hatfield centre at Hertfordshire Sports Village, ideally located for businesses in the surrounding areas such as St Albans, Welwyn Garden City, Harpenden, Hertford, Stevenage, Watford and of course Hatfield itself.
All of our first aid courses provide the participants with a qualification of the highest level of First Aid, and they are delivered to meet the statutory requirements of the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
The first aid qualifications are valid for 3 years, after which they will need to be renewed through our 2 day first aid renewal course.
If you are looking for a course for yourself or members of your organisation, then please feel free to give us a call if you would like to chat through more details.
For further details and booking, please select the course below:
- Book a 1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work Course
- Book a 3 Day First Aid at Work Course
- Book a 2 Day First Aid at Work Renewal Course
We look forward to hearing from you.